by Chad Wilson
As one of the more outspoken surfers in Ocean Beach, Trevor Nielsen brings a bit of color to the South Coast surf team. Born and raised in Point Loma, Trevor was destined to become the great surfer he is today. Excelling in both longboarding and shortboarding, not much can hold this kid back. After surfing with Trevor, I realized he has no fear of falling on any wave. Whether it is pumping six to eight foot Imperial Beach, or dredging sandspit barrels, he will go.
Contest wise, if Trevor can keep his cool, he could be a true contender on the Professional Longboard Association Tour.
Out of the water, Trevor spends most of his days either relaxing at South Coast Longboards, or out having a good time with his friends. So, next time you are in OB, stop into South Coast Longboards and meet the one we call T-Rex.
- What is your full name? Trevor Kenneth Nielsen.
- What is your birthday? January 7, 1991.
- How long have you been surfing for? 5 years.
- How long have you ridden for South Coast? 3 years.
- Shortboard or longboard? Longboard and shortboard. I just rip.
- What is your favorite break? Dumbos left. Only on the really special days.
- Are you single? Hell yeah.
- If you could be any animal, what would you be, and why? I would be a uhhâ€¦ I donâ€™t know.
- What do you like to see at the zoo? I want to be a puffer fish.
- What is your standard board? 5â€™10â€ South Coast Larry Ricci shape. I canâ€™t give out my other dimensions because people will copy me.
- Who is a better sales man at the longboard store you or your brother? Is that even a question?
- What is the funniest thing you have seen in Ocean beach? Water ballooning half naked trolls.
- What are your plans in ten years? Married. No, I am kidding. Owner of Soul Patrol. I am going to be ripping, winning contests, and traveling.
- Where would you like to travel to? Puerto, Indo, Tavi, Bali. Basically, everywhere with waves.
- What were you doing 10 years ago? When I was eight, I was probably in the 3rd grade learning how to add numbers. I am still working on it. Maybe a little surfing here and there. Of course, I had the ladies all over me back then.
- I have heard a rumor that every time you pet a dog they get so excited they squirt, can you elaborate on that? Well it’s true. My dogs name is Squirt because of me. They love to squirt and pee when I touch them. Some people are good at sports like hockey; I am good at making dogs go pee.
- You have a very interesting style. Can you tell me why you dress the way you do? Well my really dad is black, but, my mom is not. For some reason I have blond hair. It gets me babes. I am a babe magnet. I am a unique freak.
- Is (shop manager) Strawberry a dirt bag? Yes
- Been on any trips recently? I think so. Let me think. Couple trips to Lowers.
- Where have your travels taken you over your lifetime? Mexico. Mostly Baja.
- Since the closure of Clark Foam, do you think things have gotten better or worse board quality wise? I think for a little bit after the closure, boards weren’t up to par, but now I think they are the same. I don’t think they are better or worse since Clark went out.
- If you were stranded on a tropical island what three things would you bring with you and why? There is surf right? I would bring a surfboard. Hot babes that are straight, and ten more wishes.
- Out of the water what is your favorite activity? Dock diving, skateboarding, and shredding snowboards during the winter time.
- What is your favorite burrito from Nico’s and why? Let me think. This is like the hardest questions right here. I don’t know, dude. You are killing me right here, but I guess it would be a California with beans.
- If you could get on a plane right now and go anywhere in the world where would you go? Where would be really good? Probably like Puerto, yeah Puerto.
- Where were you during the fire swells? In the green room. I surfed somewhere really good during them. I can’t remember, I can’t even remember last week. I think it was IB though.
- We scored sand spit pretty good this past winter huh? Yeah, oh yeah. I totally forgot we went there.
- Why wouldn’t you take off behind the seawall? Cause I wasn’t about to catch waves over there. I was surfing my own peak getting barreled all by myself. That’s fine with me.
- 2 foot or 10 foot? 10 foot
- You charge pretty hard huh? I have never charged that hard. The biggest wave I have ever surfed is like 15 feet. I have gotten Mexico pretty big.
- Tell me about your contest experience and where you would like to go with it? My last contest was for the Point Loma Surf Team. I made finals for sure. I would like to better it, start winning events you know.
- Do you love your mom? Yes, oh course.
- What is the scariest moment you have ever had surfing? When I was small and I first started surfing and a three foot wave would come and I thought it was like 20 feet.
- Why do people in Solana Beach not like you? Cause one of my friends likes to hit girls with surfboards and I like to back paddle people up there. Straight Pillbox local.
- Last Question: Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers? Dude give me a break Hannah Montana 100 percent. She is a foxy lady.
- Quote: I just want to give a shout out to all the boys. Soul Patrol represent.